By Muhammad Tanko
Three Fulani siblings were killed while rearing their cattle without provocation by gunmen alledgedly to be Berom in Nukur village, Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State.
This was stated by the state Chairman of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), Ibrahim Yusuf Babayo.
He said the assailants also stole about 150 cattle and killed 23 during the attack, which occurred on Thursday.
Babayo told journalists in Jos on Saturday, that the victims’ corpses were recovered on Friday evening with the help of personnel from Operation Safe Haven who responded promptly following a thorough search.
He described the attack as unprovoked and heartbreaking, alleging that it was carried out by members of the Berom ethnic group.
“At around 12 am yesterday, I received news that my children had been attacked and killed. I immediately informed security operatives, and we moved to the scene together. Sadly, we found all my children dead.
“They were rearing cattle when they were attacked. The security personnel later handed over their bodies to us, and we have since buried them.
“The attackers rustled 150 cattle, although some were recovered from their homes. It was a devastating attack,”
Ibrahim Yusuf lamented.
However, the President of the Berom Youths Moulder Association (BYM), Barrister Dalyop Solomon, debunked the allegation against his people.
“We condemn the killing in its entirety, regardless of who is responsible. We call on security agencies to carry out a swift and thorough investigation to identify the perpetrators,” he stressed.
Mr Solomon urged security agencies, including Operation Safe Haven, to deploy personnel to the area to prevent possible retaliatory attacks.
“The Fulani have alleged, without evidence, that Berom youths were responsible.
“We urge proactive measures to prevent an escalation,” he added.